Trainees undergo 36 months of certified training time comprising:
- 24 months minimum core training
- 6 months core general medicine, 6 months core general medicine-related, 12 months core subspecialty (rotations much be completed in 2 distinct subspecialties)
- Rotations should be at least 6 months in duration. 3 months FTE or less will not be approved for core training. A 6-month high acuity rotation must be included (can be completed during either core or non-core training). Nights and relief are not included (unless part of high acuity rotation e.g. Emergency Medicine).
- 12 months maximum non-core training.
They will also complete:
- 1x Advanced Training Research Project (trainees who commenced in 2017 onwards)
Teaching and learning
- 1 x Learning Needs Analysis per training year
- 1 x Professional Qualities Reflection per training year
- Attend the Internal Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand (IMSANZ) meeting once during Advanced Training (recommended; from 2023 onwards)
- Complete the Cultural Competence and Cultural Safety module before the end of Advanced Training (from 2023 onwards)
- 1 x Case-based Discussion per training year
- 1 x Supervisor’s Reports per rotation (2 per 12-month rotation — full-time and part-time trainees)
- 1 x Trainee’s Report per rotation